Harlar the Horrible

Today has been a particularly awful day. Monday's are WONDERFUL at my house....the big kids are GONE. : ) Today they stayed home from school.... UGH.....they were supposedly "sick" but seemed just fine to me. Fine enough to make messes, fight, eat everything in sight..etc.,

So, tonight around bedtime when they were continuing their not listening thing I decided that I had had it.
"If you guys don't go to bed I'm going to summon Harlar." They were quiet for a minute and then said, "Who is Harlar?" And I said, "He's the monster that ate your older sisters and brother. You know, Harry, Pearl and Vivian (first names that popped into my head). Normally this wouldn't scare them, but for some reason they bought it hook line and sinker.
James Henry was actually being really good, so I feel kinda bad for scaring the crap out of him. Actually he's standing right beside me right now saying, "YOU SCAREED ME MOM!" all serious and sad faced.
Anyway, Maisy and Wyatt said, "We don't believe you." So I said, "Well, let me go get some pictures of them" So I went to my room and found some pictures of a friend of mine's kids that my kids have never seen. I said, "Yep, this is them. Harry, Pearl and Vivienne. They were so bad that I had it and I told Harlar they could eat them." "Why would you do that mom! That's awful!" Wyatt said. Maisy said, "You mean, I'm not the oldest!?" So, I said, "NOpe you aren't the oldest...and the way you guys have been acting I might just call him out again. All I have to do is stomp my foot three times...say Harlar after each stomp...and then turn in a circle." So, they laughed it off and continued to be bad so I made a HUGE production out of stomping three times and turning in a circle. Right after I had turned in a circle I saw my neighbor come onto our porch in his rain coat, with the hood pulled up. PERFECT TIMING! So, I made my eyes get all big (thank you community theatre) and made a scared face and pointed....and said, "He's Here! He's come for you!" They both looked out onto the porch and saw the black shadow with the hood and SCREAMED. They ran up the stairs in TOTAL hysterics saying how they didn't want to be eaten. They were SOBBING.
Chris is in the garage working the whole time and talking to our "monster" neighbor. He comes in and says, "What is going on?" I said, "I scared the kids." He said, "Oh well, they deserved it."
It took us 1 hour to calm them down. They were SHAKING! I kinda felt bad. I couldn't believe that they would fall for it! MY NEIGHBOR'S TIMING WAS AWESOME!

THe big kids know it's fake now....but James is still scared. Poor little guy. He's going to freak out the next time he sees someone stomp three times and turn in a circle....he better not go to any Ho-Downs.

Comments