I hate you....I love you...let's get married

Yesterday and today I have been watching a friend of mine's daughter Lucy. My friend is in Chicago having a much deserved trip of fun! (she's part of my weight loss challenge so I hope she's eating A LOT...then I won't feel so bad on Friday!)
Anyway, yesterday Lucy and James Henry got along swimmingly.
Lucy is happy if there is food, James is happy if there are tractors. SO, I took them to a "touch a truck" event in Champaign where there was LOTS of heavy machinery and ice cream. PERFECT. Then I followed it up with a trip to McDonald's (which won me some props from Lucy) and bussed them off to school.

It was a great morning!

Today when Lucy came over she had to get here pretty early, around 7:45 or so. James Henry was asleep (he sleeps in until like 9:30). So, Lucy and I rattled around the kitchen. She told me what she likes to eat and I told her how much I like to eat it too...then I quickly got out of the kitchen and quit thinking food thoughts.
She played in the living room, watched tv and got VERY bored.
James Henry finally rolled out of bed and Lucy by this time was very excited to see him.
I couldn't help but think of Chris and I when these two interacted today.
Lucy: James! I thought you were never getting up.
James: Well, I'm up now.
Lucy: Let's play!
James: After I eat something.
Lucy: I already ate. I ate all the donuts.
James: You ate all the donuts?
Lucy: Well, you took forever. What was I supposed to do?
James: Not eat all the donuts.
Lucy: Hmmmm

After that beginning tiff started another one shortly followed:

Lucy: James are you going to get dressed today?
James: When I feel like it.
Lucy: But we have stuff to do.
James: Just hold your horses, will do it.

By this time I was cracking up on the inside. It's like these two have been married for 10 years. Chris came inside from the garage, where he had been working on chainsaws and saw some of this too and said, "Man...they're just like you and me. They're destined."

So I said, "James Henry...you go get dressed and play a game with Lucy."
James said, "Ok"
James came downstairs dressed and ready and Lucy said..."I don't want to play anymore. I'm tired."
and promptly took a nap.

James looked at me and said, "She's kinda cranky, but I still wanna marry her."

:)

Comments