Baby Jesus and the brownies

Recently, my kids were in a little old fashioned Christmas program at our country church. It was painfully cute. All of the children in the program were just adorable. Special mention goes out to Lucy the angel who did the obligatory kid thing and lifted her dress up to put her hands down her tights to itch her legs -  much to the delight of her mother. I of course missed this gem because I was playing piano and couldn't see anyone. Darn it. I live for moments like that.

Anyway, I baked some brownies (the only thing that I can manage to bake) for the program, 2 big batches. I had actually made 3 batches, but the third batch had some rather serious issues.

I waited for Violet to take a nap and made the first double batch. No problems. She slept the whole time and I was able to mix, bake, and even ice them. She woke up just after I had started mixing the third batch. I thought, "No big deal, I'm almost done here." So, I tried my best to keep her busy and got out her Little People manger scene...or what's left of it. It's been through 4 kids, so now it's mostly just 1 wise man, 1 sheep, the angel, and baby Jesus in his little manger bed. I have to say he's a really cute baby Jesus too! I'm glad he's survived the Christmases at our house. Sweet little guy.

While I was mixing the brownies Violet sat, ON THE TABLE, and played with her little people. THREE TIMES she put Baby Jesus in the bowl while I stirred. Three times I CAUGHT HER, got him out and apologized to him. Although, maybe it's not so bad being tossed in brownies? Maybe he was like, "No, no, no. Really it's okay!"

Anyway, I was getting ready to pour my brownies into my pan when the phone rang. I put everything down, gave Violet a stern look and then went to answer the phone. It was of course an unknown caller, which meant a solicitor. I decided not to answer and turned around to find Violet off the table and walking away with her little people.

"Wow," I thought. "That's a first", usually it takes force or bribery to get her off the table. Her love for standing on that table and screaming, singing, beating her chest, is well known in our house. It's "her thing." So, I was more concerned about why she had gotten off the table and where she was going, and went ahead and poured the brownie's in the pan. I distinctly remember thinking, "She's done something, but what?" while putting the pan in the oven.

40 minutes went by. 40 minutes of playing hard core with Violet, mostly just me protecting the Christmas tree, and 3 minutes of me wondering where baby Jesus had gone. He wasn't with the rest of the little people. The manger looked a little lonely without him. Where had I seen him last? And then I knew. I knew his terrible fate.

I ran to the oven and yanked the brownies out. There he was. Baby Jesus. Nestled in the middle of the brownies. "It's a Christmas Miracle!" I yelled because if you can believe it, Baby Jesus was unscathed. He hadn't even melted. He looks a teeny bit tan, but I think maybe that makes him more authentic now.

I quickly found a hot pad and got the brownies out. I just stood there and stared at him. Baby Jesus nestled in brownies, looking very very happy. But, who wouldn't be? I didn't know what to think of these brownies....they were either holy or toxic...I went with toxic and decided I would throw them away. Before I could do that however Violet came out of nowhere with a pair of scissors (that Maisy had left out) and threw them. I mean THREW THEM AS HARD AS SHE COULD at the brownies and baby Jesus. She said something that sounded like, "Take that!" I said a small prayer right then and there.

Thankfully, no one was hurt in this ordeal. However, it has made me worry about Violet. She has it out for baby Jesus.

I decided to put him in a safe place, far from little Violet's reach. Currently, I'm afraid for him. Later that day, when I told the big kids about it, they sang a song to him; he's like some kind of idol in our house now. The Miracle Baby Jesus.

I keep telling myself that it's nothing personal with Violet and her dislike of him..but I'm nervous....I'm not thinking exorcist yet but maybe I should go pick up some holy water.

Comments