Good impressions...

Since school started and I took the GA position at EIU, I have found that I don't have a lot of time to clean my house. My weekends are spent folding laundry/cleaning but during the week you just never know what you are going to find here. Imagine my horror when Chris calls me last Thursday to tell me that he's bringing the head of a construction firm by the house to chat/discuss a bid that Chris was submitted. First of all, I'm at school from 9-1:30 those days. That means that I left around 7:30...that also means that the house didn't get picked up at all before I left.

When Chris called I tried to picture the condition of the house in my head. I knew there were dishes in the sink. I knew there was laundry on the living room coffee table waiting to be folded, I knew that the floor needed swept (we I have to do daily because of the dog and the kids...well, and Chris)...but I couldn't think of anything else that needed to be done. I told him that he needed to get home a little earlier and do those things for me because I wouldn't be home until 3 and he was coming to the house before that. He said fine, he was on top of it. I always get nervous when Chris says he's on top of something. #1 because he usually isn't, and #2 because his on top of something means something way way different than what I mean.

I got into town right before 3:00 and went to the school to pick up the kids...then we came home. I walked in the door and instantly wanted to cry. Chris was sitting at the table with the construction worker/firm leader guy....and was surrounded by this:

Wyatt's dirty clothes that he had left laying on the dining room floor *and I mean DIRTY*
Two juice cups that had been thrown all crazy like and were half open, leaking onto the floor.
Dishes still in the sink
laundry still on the coffee table
Some kind of weird spill on the kitchen floor that looked exceptionally sticky
dog hair everywhere
Empty fruit snack wrappers that the kids can't seem to ever throw away
And the coupe de grace .... a dirty diaper.
YEP. Violet had an episode that morning, and in my haste to get everyone and myself out the door by 7:30 I forgot to throw it away. When Violet has an episode she has an EPISODE...so it was an intense diaper.
Sitting...on the floor...just outside her bedroom door...open.

SIGH.

I was so embarrassed. Normally my house is cluttered but not dirty. I looked at Chris and shot daggers out of my eyes. I apologized over and over again to the const. supervisor. While I am apologizing and picking up the house Maisy and Wyatt run in fighting, Maisy knees Wyatt in the groin and he's down....for a moment. Then he gets up and chases after her. Violet jumps down out of my arms and immediately runs for the magic marker someone left out, and while I was telling Maisy and Wyatt too cool it, she starts coloring on the wall. James Henry is trying to be sweet but needs a drink of water, and James talks VERY LOUDLY, so he is basically standing in the kitchen yelling about water.

Chris looks about 6 shades of purple and a tumor has bursted out of his head. The guys at the table says, very politely, "Well, I better let you folks go. It looks as if you are busy," and he basically ran out of the house.

Chris got the call later that evening that he had gotten the job. Quite frankly we were all shocked. We couldn't decide if it was because the guy felt sorry for us or if the bid was just the right price.

Either way...it doesn't matter. Chris has been informed to NEVER bring someone by on surprise notice anymore. I'm still reeking of embarrassment. Sigh.

Comments