Only Ye Brave May Enter...

My basement is scary. I don't mean, "Oh, I'm afraid of the basement because my imagination runs away with me," type of scary. I mean scary. There are lots of spiders, cobwebs,I have seen SLUGS, crickets, Chris' old clothes from the 80s...(shudder) and once in awhile a stray cat that wanders in through the breeze way when Chris forgets to shut the garage door. There is nothing quite like being down there doing laundry, all by yourself, to suddenly feel something slide up by your leg and meow. Instant heart attack. And another reason why I hate cats....

There is also a pile of dryer lint that might be morphing into some kind of monster. Why is there dryer lint there? Why is there a whole garbage can full of empty laundry detergent bottles (I admit, it's overflowing)? Why is my laundry in my basement after I swore that would never happen to me? (I grew up in an old country house with a truly frightening basement...and the laundry was down there. After years of nightmares about that place, I promised myself that I would never have my laundry in my basement....)

Well, my washer/dryer USED to be upstairs. In my kitchen. Which I admit is really weird...but the kitchen used to be really weird. Before we added on to the house our kitchen was kind of like a galley kitchen....about 12 feet long and skinny....one side cabinets, sink, and stove, and the other side - fridge, dryer/washer (in that order)Oh and a shower! YES! A shower in the kitchen! There was a modest little divider...but I honestly could take a shower, run the dryer, AND cook dinner on the stove all at once. It was kind of an impressive tri-fecta.

When the contractor showed us the pictures for our addition there was a nice laundry room to be located in our bedroom. I wasn't necessairily thrilled to be that close to the laundry...but it was still going to be upstairs. So, I didn't mind.
Only...the contractor forgot this detail and gave me a huge bedroom closet instead. Now, do I use this closet? OH YES. Probably fill it a little too full...but imagine my dismay when I walked into the addition and was told that the laundry room had been scratched. : ( So, where was my laundry room going to go? That's right. The Temple of Doom.

So, now I have to do my laundry in the basement. Not only that, but my dryer has to sit up on a sort of concrete shelf or basement side wall...so that the hose can reach the outside vent. Yep. This means I have to climb on top of stuff to put stuff in the dryer. Not only that but my washer is right beside a table that I set most of my laundry detergent/spray in wash on top of. SO, I have to scale the table in order to get to the laundry. Basically doing laundry at my house is some sort of test of wills. I have to overcome fear, carry a big basket over crickets/spiders/possible stray cats, scale a table....and then climb a wall.

AND you know the worst thing about this whole situation? The SECOND my foot hits that basement floor my kids start sobbing/fighting. EVERY SINGLE TIME. This is why there is a pile of dryer lint and a huge garbage can full of laundry detergent bottles. I have to race to get laundry done and get back upstairs and save someone's little life from VIolet.

For Christmas all I want is a laundry service. Oh, and a possible exorcism for Violet.

Merry Christmas!

Comments