Driving With the Children to Charleston Every Week for 6 Weeks: Week 1

So far everyone is living.
Which I find to be miraculous, and an amazing test of my patience.

I have found that the trips down to Charleston are generally ok.  There is a little bit of fighting, "EVERYONE SHUT UP AND LOOK STRAIGHT AHEAD. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LOOK AT EACH OTHER OR THINK ABOUT LOOKING AT EACH OTHER."

There is also a bit of the kids telling me how to drive, "MOM! Take your fingers out of your ears and put them on the steering wheel! You are going to kill us driving with your knee!"
(and no, I drive awesome with my knee.  If they would quit screaming I wouldn't have to do that).

So far we haven't stopped for any potty breaks. "JUST PEE IN THE FREAKING BOTTLE, JAMES!"

And they haven't complained about being hungry, "Wait. Where are the snacks?  We had a van full of snacks when we left Farmer City.  Seriously, you guys?  Really?  2 boxes of fruit snacks and a box of juice boxes...in an hour?"

Wyatt and Maisy are getting along fairly well: "WYATT, if you scoot your seat back one more time I'm going to pull your hair out." "Maisy, if you pull my hair out one more time I'm gonna clock you."  "Wyatt, I dare you.  I freaking dare you to look at me.  Just one peek."  "Maisy, I'm looking at you.  Can you see me looking at you?  I'm peeking around the corner."

James Henry is not behaving too badly: "It's James' Fault!  He keeps touching her!  He keeps sticking his tongue out at her.  He even licked her arm!"

And Violet has kept the cussing down to a minimum: "AHOLE! DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF!!!!!!!!!!! Penis."

And that is just the way to Charleston.
The way back from Charleston is a whole 'nother dimension of hell.

Who was I telling that these six weeks was going to just fly?  Why didn't that person slap me?

It's good quality time I guess: "I have to tell myself OVER AND OVER that I love you guys.  OVER AND OVER.  It's the only thing keeping me from dropping you off at this rest stop."


Comments