Shy Violet

It is no secret that the children named Violet.  I had all sorts of "better" names picked out.  Clementine, Audrey, and Penelope (my personal favorite)..but the children insisted on Violet.  Over the years I have wondered if we should have named her Helga or Brunhilda, what with her penchant for being one tough kid. However, it seems that the children picked the perfect name for their little sister for she is most definitely shy.

Shy to a point where it is painful.

And also stubborn.

Stubborn to a maddening degree.

She has started pre-school and is quite excited about it everyday.  She looks forward to putting on her book bag and running into school, but once she gets inside of the school things quickly start to go from great to not so great--and she suddenly becomes mountain like... unmovable.

Currently Violet is in a battle of wills with her teacher, and although Mrs. Parson insists that she will win...I'm beginning to have my doubts.  I think that Mrs. Parson might have, after 18 years of teaching, met her match.  Shy Violet...the unmovable mountain.

The first couple days of school Violet refused to speak to Mrs. Parson, which I knew would be a problem because she normally does not talk to anyone--so I was prepared for the email letting me know that Violet would not speak to the teacher.  I wasn't prepared for the email I received yesterday (picture day) that went like this:

Dear Kelly,

Picture Day was a no go for Violet.  She adamantly refused, cried, knocked over a chair, and then went boneless.  We will try again on picture day.

Someday she will trust me,

Tracy Parson

Uh oh.  No picture day--and she looked SO CUTE in the Alice and Wonderland style dress I had put her in, with her sweet little bob haircut.  When I got home I asked Violet about not having her picture taken.

"Violet, why didn't you get your picture taken?"
"I didn't want too.  I cry."
"I know you cried, but why no picture?  Mommy wanted a picture."
"I can't mama. I just can't."

Sigh.  I have a feeling that I am going to hear that a lot of the years.  And I know that she CAN it needs to be, "I won't mama, I just won't."

Snack time has turned into a battle for her as well.  She cannot open her milk and crackers on her own, and the teacher will not do it unless Violet asks her to do it.  So, Violet sits stoically and watches everyone else eat.  And unless she can manage to open her things...doesn't get to have a snack.

I should probably mention that Violet inherits this shyness from me.  Which might be extremely hard to believe.  It is true though.  When I was small I went to a pre-school and for the first several months, MONTHS, I walked straight into the school and hid in the closet.  THE CLOSET.  I would come out for snack though, so apparently I'm not as strong as Violet...I mean...really. Who misses snack time?
Violet. Violet is so shy and stubborn that she forgoes a snack...which really causes me to wonder if she truly is my child.

This morning I asked her if she was excited about school today. She told me yes.  I asked her if she was going to talk to the teacher today and she said, "Nooo. Don't want to talk to teacher, don't want to say cheese...don't want to smile." And she ran off.  Apparently still reeling from yesterdays boneless photo session fiasco.

The next 12 years of school are going to be something else...

Comments