Thanksgiving 2012

Today I am thankful for the fact that I woke up with all of my hair, because Violet has been talking 'bout cuttin again.  "Look at me mama, I like Wyatt" as she pats her head, "you like Wyatt too."  Well I have been thinking about cutting my hair shorter, but not quite that short....or uneven....
I am resigned to the fact that she wants to keep her hair short, now if it would just grow out a bit I could cut it into something that looks like a little girl hair cut.  Despite the fact that I dress her in pink, purple, glittery head bands and long dresses, she is still called a boy by strangers -- even when I say her name.  You think VIOLET would be a give away.  I guess people just think I'm a hip new gender neutral parent.  Whatevs.

I've almost made it through this semester.  I've gained 10 pounds in doing so.  I blame the ass/chair symbiosis I have been achieving while grading/writing papers....I can't wait for Christmas break to get here so that I can work out - and I honestly don't know if I have ever said that before.

Violet is having surgery next week, and despite me being nervous...she seems excited.  I told her that the Dr. was going to cut her tonsils out, and her eyes lit up.  Apparently anything involving scissors is a GO for her.  Ew.

We got a new puppy, who is 4 months old and the size of Bella.  His name is Axel (The Ax Man).  He's a Bernese Mountain Dog, and the kids love him.  He loves me, and is incredibly jealous of Chris...which will be really fun when he weighs in at 180 pounds.  Chris might have finally met his match.

As I sit here and type, and think back to the last year I am proud of my achievements...and I hate even typing that because it makes me feel like an ego snob.  I have attended conferences, survived my first year and a half of grad school, had two independent studies pass, had my Prospectus pass the first round (unanimously), taught 1 class at Parkland for a full semester, jumped in and filled in to another teacher for a half of a semester, worked with some incredible students, survived the children, potty trained Violet, put Violet into pre-school (which someone should give me and her teacher a medal for), and made it here to today.  I have had my moments of near insanity, break downs, and crying jags.  But I have to say that the laughter has been more prominent.

So, this year I am thankful for my life.  I might not have all the material things that I would like to, and I am pretty darn poor...but I have my sense of humor (and 4 kids to remind me of that), a home to live in, a unique family, and my health.  Why should I want anymore?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Comments