Strange Role Models

All of my children have characteristics that I admire. Maisy puts others before herself on a continous basis. James Henry is sweet to everyone he meets and brightens a room with a smile. Violet is exceptionally hard working - she loves to help and will do everything she can in order to get to be first person on the chore list.

Then there is Wyatt.

Wyatt is such a different child. He's intelligent, sweet, and very mature for the age of 10. He is also super silly.

But what I admire most about Wyatt is that he does not care what anyone else thinks about him.

He simply does not care.

I wish I could be that way. I have always cared what people think of me.

Sometimes I would love to wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt to work in the Writing Center--but I just can't. What if someone sees me and thinks "Man, being a mom has finally gotten to Kelly. She no longer cares." And I DO care...

Today I'm wearing purple cordoroys and somehow I managed to spill something weird on them before getting to school...and didn't realize it. So, now I'm walking around oddly...with my right arm hanging perfectly placed on my right thigh. Looks weird...but hey...got to cover that up.

So this morning I shouldn't have been surprised when I walked out onto the front porch and found Wyatt wearing my pink...BRIGHT pink snow boots.

"Wyatt, what are you doing? Aren't those mine?"

He stared at me like I was stupid.

"Yeah. The zipper broke on mine so I thought I'd wear yours."

"You want to wear my BRIGHT PINK girl boots?"

"Mom, they're boots. What's the big deal?"

"Wyatt, won't people make fun of you?"

"I don't care. They can make fun of me if they want. Doesn't matter to me. I just want to play in the snow."

So, I said ok. I sent my 10 year old son out the door in bright pink winter boots....girly boots.

He happily walked out the door, completely unphased and ready to go to school and ignore the shouts of pink boot shame he will most definitely hear.

What an interesting way to live your life. So, although he doesn't wear underwear and has a less than desired bathing routine ---I think I may take him on as my mentor.

Now, where are my sweatpants?

Comments