Musings of Violet

There are a lot of things that Violet does that boggle the mind: cutting her own hair, refusing her own birthday party, her ability to be shy around everyone she knows yet brave around strangers, THE ATTITUDE and the NOT SLEEPING.

She has a way about her. That's for sure.

Right now she is obsessed with ponies. Not the toy kind...the real kind.

 It's always weird to be when Violet behaves in a "gender typical" way. Normally she cannot be pinned down. She baffles me.

Shes's rough and tumble, and certainly a troublesome match for any ornery little boy. She's not afraid of dirt and likes to get filthy.

And then sometimes she's all girl: playing with Care Bears, painting her fingernails, and dreaming of ponies.

When I took her on her nightly car ride tonight, she told me (for about 10 minutes) of her master plan to bring a pony home. Her intricate plan involves espionage, some sort of carpentry work, and incredible amounts of pony love.

"I will take the pony, and build a barn for it...with a window (so he can see me) and play puzzles with it (because ponies like puzzles). I'm going to name him Carl and I'll ride him all the time."

When I ask where she is getting this poor unsuspecting pony she says, "That house outside of town. They won't care."

Then of course I tell her that she cannot go around stealing ponies, to which she responds "Watch me."

Everything with Violet is different. She is a daily challenge.

She is also a daily source of amusement (for me and many others).

Sometimes I find myself wishing I could live my life like Violet.

Violet is fearless. Yes, she is painfully shy - but I think she is this way because she WANTS to be.

Violet does everything on her own terms. She will not let anyone force her into doing ANYTHING.

Will peer pressure every be a problem for Violet? I doubt it...of course, she might be the one leading the charge....

I just look at that little girl and I see determination and fearlessness.

I also see a lot of pride, and that worries me...because it doesn't matter if you are fearless, if you cannot get over your pride than being brave means nothing.

Sometimes she makes me want to cry.
And I do.

Sometimes I have to call people to come to the house and watch her for me, because I fear that I will lose my mind.

Sometimes I want to pick her up and hug her for the rest of my life.

Violet is a force of nature.

Consistent and beautiful like the flower she was named after...she flourishes in surprising ways.

Comments