Insert Chariots of Fire Theme song Here

Inspirational Running Music Found Here....

Maybe you should click the above link and play it while I tell you my sad story.

So this morning I decided that I would take the kids to the park before it got hellaciously hot out.
I was even super nice and stopped and bought them donuts and juice.

Nice mom move, really. I was feeling sweet.

I also wanted to sweet talk them into letting me go on a run/walk while they played at the park. Here in town there is a bike path that goes all around the park, so I usually run it...and can still see them while they are playing.

So, the donuts and juice were my ways of bribing them I guess. It worked.

They ate, they played, I ran.

Super awesome day.

10:00 rolls around and Wyatt decides he wants to go home, we all still want to play. So, he goes and sits in the car.

Did I mention that I had left my keys in the car? I didn't want to have them with me while on my run, so I put them underneath the drivers side floor mat of my van.

Well, for some reason Wyatt decided to get into the car and pout about wanting to go home.

Finally he realized that we weren't going to go home...that we were in fact sticking around and having fun. So despite the fact that I had told him earlier "The keys are in the car, don't get in there and lock it" and despite the fact that he responded "I wouldn't do that."  He locked the car.

Keys locked in the car.

Violet had already put her shoes in the car, because she wanted to play in the sand area without them.

Having tired of the sand after 3 minutes, Violet turned to Wyatt and said, "Could you get me my shoes from the car? And he replied, "Sure." He turns around and discovers the door is locked.

So he says: "Mom, give me the keys. I locked the door."

To which I stared at him, shooting daggers out of my eyes, and said "THE KEYS ARE IN THE CAR. YOUR NAME IS NOW MUD!"

I realized that i would have to leave all 4 kids at the park, under Maisy's care while I walked the 2 miles back to the house.....because not just Violet had put her shoes in the car...but James and Maisy as well.

I was stuck at the park with shoeless children. I had just run 2 miles, felt pretty good about that...until I realized that i was going to have to run 4 more.

What happened next was not pretty.

I had a super freak out.

Hopefully no one was near by to witness the tirade of curse words that came from my mouth.

After cursing a blue streak, I assigned the kids each a bench. Told Maisy to text me every 2 minutes, and started on my way.

Did I mention that we live on a hill?

Yep.

So, I had to run 2 miles, up hill, to get back to the house to get the spare van keys. THANK GOD we have a hide a key at the house, or I wouldn't have been able to get in there either. :/

Anyway, I started my long uphill journey. I put some inspritational tunes on my iPod, but they weren't working. I was so mad.

In order to get home from the park I have to go right through the downtown area.

So, what happens? do I run into everyone I know?

Yep.

And do I know many people yet?

Nope.

But the few that I did were out and about.

"Hey, Kelly! Looks like you've been working out awhile!"

What gave that way?  The fact that I had sweated through my shirt? The fact that my legs were shaking?

The fact that I had a perma smile that bordered upon an insane grin?

"HEY! Mrs. Franklin! Looking good! Woot!"

followed by

"How yo doin?! Damn yo ass is fine." (didn't know that guy. I think he's a bum)

Finally made it to the house. Found the keys, thankfully they were still in the same place I has always stored them (despite the move).

patted myself on the back for being a tiny bit organized, and then started the jog back to the park.

After a block my right knee locked up.

Jogged slowed to a hobble.

After another block I stepped on a nail.

I was wearing my minimus new balance.

Thankfully it went through my shoe, but not my foot...seriously went right in between my toes.

I looked at the sky and laughed for a moment. I mean, really?  What else?

Oh, I don't know...maybe someone's sprinkler that was timed to go off at 10:45 and did....right as I was running past, soaking my already half-broken iPhone.

The kids kept texting me. Maisy informed me that Wyatt had decided to run away.

I was not upset.

Finally made it back to the park. I ran 3 of the 4 miles....hobbled for 1/2 and swerved and shook for another 1/2. Did I mention that it was 90 degrees already?

I had unintentionally become one of those idiots that runs in 90 degrees. Ugh.

Got back to the park and the kids all cheered and hollered for me. All kids except for Wyatt. He sat sulking under a tree. He knew he was on a shit list. A shit list a mile long, with only his name repeated.

I simply motioned for him to get in the car.

Had I not already run 2 miles his morning, the additional 4 wouldn't have bothered me. BUT I had.

And I'm out of shape, having just started running again after taking a month off for the move.

We got back home, after the most silent car ride ever, and everyone silently went into the house. Each child went to their rooms, waiting for me to melt down.

I collapsed on the couch and posted an angry status.

Then Wyatt came upstairs and said, "Welp, guess you got a good work out in.  So, you're welcome."

Wanted to slap him, hugged him instead.

He's still going to be MUD for awhile though.

Comments