Ruining 80s Movie Soundtracks For Me Since November 2013

I love the movie Sixteen Candles.  The ending.

THE ENDING.

For most of my life I have desperately yearned to have a guy bake me a cake, sit on a table with me, tell me happy birthday, and then kiss me, all while the Thompson Twins song "If You Were Here" played in the background.

I used to love that song.

Daydreaming to that song has always been a favorite past time.

No more.

No more will I think romantic thoughts while that song plays in the background of my brain.

Said song died a long gross and painful death in a vehicle on the way home from Illinois.

"Mama, I listen to your iPhone?" said Violet, very sweetly.

"Yeah, sure." I said. Thrilled to think she was going to keep herself busy for a bit.

The familiar synthesized beginning started playing over the speakers and I thought, "Oh man. What a great song to play! She has awesome taste."

The big three were asleep. There was no traffic. It was perfect.

"If you were here, I could deceive you..."

"Mama, I like this song. Can I play it again?"

Well, who doesn't want to hear that song twice in a row?

"Play it again, Violet!"

I said with gusto.

"and if you were here, you would believe"

After the second round of the song Maisy woke up and said, "Haven't we heard this once already?"

I said, "Yeah. Violet likes it."

Maisy looked concerned.

"but would you suspect, my emotion wandering"

Wyatt woke up and said "Maisy seems concerned."

He was right.

She had a troubled look on her face.

"Maisy, what's wrong?" Wyatt asked.

Maisy stated, "I think I might puke."

Now, the Thompson Twins aren't for everyone...but I don't think they typically make people puke.

"Mom, Maisy is gonna puke. She's for real," Wyatt said.

"yeah, don't want a part of this anymore"

"Yeah. That guys right, I don't want to sit by Maisy right now. And can we turn this song off?"

Violet answered by playing it again, only LOUDER.

"The rain water drips through a crack in the ceiling"

James woke up, looked at Maisy, looked at Wyatt and said, "What's going on in here? Things feel tense."

"and I'll have to spend my time on repair"

Violet answered, "GOOD SONG."

Wyatt responded, "Weird song! Is this supposed to be about love, cause it's awful!"

Maisy puked.

"But just like the rain I'll always be falling"

Maisy puked on James.

Violet turned the radio up, played song again.

James puked on Wyatt.

Wyatt rolled down the window and puked outside of the truck.

"only to rise and fall again"

Everyone was miserable.

"Why do we have to keep listening to this song?" Maisy cried as she threw up again all over James.

James said, "Oh man. You puked in my coat hood!" and then promptly threw up in my purse.

"If you were here, I would deceive you"

The song played on.

The puking continued.

After 120 solid minutes of puking, crying, and pleading (for the song to be turned off) the iPhone battery died.

Puking stopped.

I will admit, that after listening to that song on repeat for 120 minutes I also wanted to puke.

Call it motion sickness or tight quarters. Call it a random bout of the stomach flu...but I don't know.

I think maybe that if you listen to the Thompson Twins on repeat, you get sick.

There goes my daydreaming romantic music.

Sigh.


 

 


Comments