We're not in Mansfield anymore

I took a day off today and it really was perfect.
Most of the day was spent sitting on my couch with a laptop and coffee to keep me company - and I watched the snow fall. All day.

ALL DAY.

Towards evening I found myself thinking, "I bet there's no school tomorrow!"

Super excited.

If it had snowed like this in Illinois, there would be no snow tomorrow.

Guess what?

School tomorrow. We get a lovely "two hour delay." Which means that we get to sleep in a tiny little bit and then brave the weather and go to school.

Wyatt was not happy when he got the news.

"TWO HOURS. TWO HOURS! MOM. KEEP US HOME. You have that right! YOU HAVE THAT RIGHT."

Maisy was ambivalent.

James said, "Whoop! Wearing my snow pants to school!"

And Violet didn't appear to have an opinion.

No snowdays is just one of the differences over here in Iowa. You wouldn't think that things would be so different, I mean...it's not like we moved to a new country - but things are very different.

People here are very friendly and nice, but not very welcoming. I don't think I have met any of my neighbors, and I've lived here since August!

We have Hyvee's and Fareway's over here. Fareway is kinda like an IGA and Hyvee is close to a Shnucks.

Businesses have signs on them that say, "No Guns Allowed" and places are closed on Sunday.

The only radio stations that exist here in Iowa are Christian or Country or 80s rock. Once in awhile I tune in a Pop channel from Des Moines (but I don't really like that type of music so I only do that when I'm desperate).

If you live in this part of iowa you are either a Cyclone or Hawkeye fan, and we also have Huskers mixed in there.

People are kind to one another, but generally keep to themselves. People here smile back at you if you smile at them - and that's nice. It's not always like that in Illinois.

The town that I'm living in has a population around 7500, but it feels just like Farmer City. I swear I run into the same people all of the time!

The schools here are amazing. They have made it worth the move. I loved our school back home and was happy there, but I am incredibly impressed with the schools here. My kids are thriving.

Band is taken seriously here! It's a THING and that's fun.

Friday nights in the fall are exciting. Everyone in town attends the football game, and it feels like a college game. And their team wins, something I'm not used to.

The roads here, when you get outside of town, are mostly gravel. Even some of the in-town roads are gravel! There is no point in  washing your car, it's just gonna be filthy in five minutes....and everyone feels this way because everyone has a filthy car.

There are a lot of similarities and a lot of differences in my new home. I'm sure I forgot some.

The one thing that Iowa and home have in common though is that there is NOTHING to do here in the winter...unless you like to ice fish.

Which I do not like to do.

I don't even like to regular fish.

:)

Comments