Where'd you get that laugh from?

It's not a secret that I'm a laugher.
 Love it. Just love it.

I'm known for my big loud laugh (borderline cackle), and then the sigh afterwards. Both wonderful traits that I inherited from my mom and grandma - two things that make me me, yet also make me part of their legacy.

To say that I'm lucky to have the mom and grandma that I have, sounds typical...nonchalant, it's something that everyone says. You know? It's something that everyone means.

Sometimes when I think of the women who helped make me into the person that I am, I'm astounded. Their battles, their triumphs, their sadness and joy - how they shaped me.

For a long time I didn't listen to the wisdom. Thought I knew everything, just as every young person does.

I was always watching though.

I watched my mom go back to work, doing a job that she hated, in order to help provide for our family. She went from being my mom, my wonderful creative and funny stay at home mom, to a Postal worker. And she did that for thirty years.

She just retired - which I'm having a hard time comprehending. I think I've tried to call her work # about 4 times this week, and stopped myself mid-dial. WHOA. Mom doesn't work there anymore.

Strange.

My grandmother was also a postmaster, like her father was before her. So, with my mom's retirement the three generations of post-master position holders ends in my family - it's kind of sad. For many years my mom, grandma, and great-grandpa were those people that the local town folk went to for communication - not just mail.

To say that the local Postmaster knows everything, well...it's a correct statement. Everyone would come in and talk to my mom, as they did my grandma, and as they did my great-grandpa. I'm sure they did that because they (meaning my family) did a good job...but also because they are, and were, kind people.

You can see that kindness in their eyes.

And that's what I saw all those years. Even when I wasn't listening to advice.

I was watching it.

Their actions taught me many things - too many to put into a trivial list.

When I work with a student, I remember that kindness that I saw my mom and grandpa display while helping customers.
I remember that laugh, our laugh...the laugh that my mom and grandma would use in order to make fun of themselves, and in turn make people feel more comfortable.
That's a technique I use all of the time while teaching, and especially in conferences.
I learned that sometimes the most important thing to do is stand and listen. Heck, even just pretend to listen....regardless, to be invested. Even when you don't want to be. Even when there are things happening in your life that are far more important than someone's missing paper or a book of stamps.

Basically, my mom and grandma taught me how to care.

And they didn't do that by lecturing (because I wasn't listening! ;) ) they did it simply by their actions.

For me, actions have always spoken louder than words. Which is weird, since I love words.

However, I'm also a lover of the theater...and body language. I can convey so much with physical movement and expression - sometimes more that way than I can with words.

Most importantly though they both taught me to get over myself. And that is a hard lesson to learn.

But once you can get over yourself, and laugh at yourself. The world just opens up. And it's a much brighter place.

Comments