"RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! SHE'S GOT MARIO RAGE!"

Over spring break I decided to move the Wii out of Maisy's room into the living room - for purely selfish reasons.

I had free time - and I had shows to binge watch.

Her bed is not comfortable and damn it, if I'm going to binge watch....I'm going to do it from the super awesome really snuggly couch.

After grading papers/watching TV for a good solid 5 hours, I discovered the couch and I had become one...and so the decision to do something else came to mind.

I was clicking around to exit off of Netflix, and I noticed that the home screen had Mario Bros. 3! The one with the racoon! The one that I played all of the time when I was about 10 years old.

"Oh, snap. It's on!" I thought to myself.

I was doing some serious Mario playing. It was all coming back to me. Truly, like riding a bike.

After I had been playing for about 30 minutes, I noticed a little ginger haired girl sitting on my right.

"What are you doing? This looks fun. Can I play?"

Well, I was kind of excited to have her play. It's like a little kid right of passage...and she never really plays video games, so I thought a little bit wouldn't hurt her.

5 minutes later and Violet was hooked. She was a Mario fan. A Mario fan from way back (despite the 5 minutes she'd been exposed to it).

Now, if you know Violet...you know she's bossy. And kind of mean....

I am now typing this from a corner in my room. Hiding from the rage.

"WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT! WHY WOULD YOU DIE LIKE THAT! THAT IS JUST STUPID. GIVE ME THAT REMOTE."

Don't play two players with Violet. I learned that straight-up, very quickly.

Currently, Maisy is learning that hard lesson.

Once in awhile Violet stomps into my room and says, "I can't beat this level. It's hard. I love you. You're the best mom. Can you come beat it for me."

I fell for it the first time.

But quickly learned that it was just a ruse for her to yell at me more when I killed her character.

So, here I sit...in the bedroom, hiding with my laptop, thinking of ways that I could disable the Wii from here. I caught James's eye a minute ago as he tried to sneak by her. I think he's on my level. Now, if only I could get him to read lips. I've been saying, "Slide behind the TV and unplug the Wii" but he just says, "I have no idea what you're saying!"

And then Violet yells at him.

And my time stuck in the bedroom just goes on and on....

Comments