Fun - but it's no Mad Max: Fury Road

First off, Chris Pratt is cute.

Phew, now that that's off my chest, I can move on.

I saw the movie today with my youngest son James, age almost 9. He was pretty pumped up to go see it, as Jurrasic Park has always been one of his favorite movies (we've never seen the other sequels).

"I hope this is good! It's going to be good because Star Lord is in it!" He has full confidence in the power of Chris Pratt - and I agree, he reminds me of a young Harrison Ford...pre-scratchy voice and earring (still can't get used to that earring). Likeable dude. Seems normal. In some ways a breath of fresh air, and no matter what role he plays I feel like audiences think "He could be my BFF."

Anyway....

Once the movie started I was automatically struck by PRODUCT PLACEMENT. I mean, what kind of audiences are watching this movie? I'm going to place a seriously safe bet and claim that mostly middle class people will see it.

Do you know how many middle class people I know that own Mercedes? 0. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

We're not the Mercedes folk. Although, I'm sure we'd like to be...just don't have that kind of scratch.

So, that kind of killed the movie for me right away.

Now, I did like it. I liked it a lot....but the product placement was so flagrant that I kind of wanted to die a little bit.  At one point the main female character, played by Bryce Dallas Howard, pulled up to Chris Pratt's character's trailer....and it looked like a TV commercial - one that you would see while sitting around watching your shows. Angled just perfect, lighting just right, Mercedes sign just a gleaming.

Then, of course, Pratt's character is drinking a glass bottle coke (and seriously, that's the only way to drink a coke) while working on his motorcycle...with the Coke words facing JUST SO...

And how can we forget the Samsung phones (and I have one by the way, and it's super cool). The Samsung sponsored Technology center signs all over the park....and the Starbucks. The assistant is drinking Starbucks....because don't all assistants do that?

I did like the large amount of nods to the original film, those were enjoyable and sent me back down memory lane. But I was seriously thinking about product placement the entire film, it was so flagrant.

Currently, I am writing an article about female power post-9/11 and enjoyed seeing Bryce Dallas Howard's character being so powerful. However, that power came with a price....and it looks like that price is having children, or even being maternal. "you don't know how old your nephews are?" asks Pratt's Owen in a dramatic moment. The argument that you can't be a powerful woman and succeed without giving up something, rings true in this film...and that bothers me. It's a lie, and one that keeps circulating in society.

She does end up being the super brave person that has a big role in "saving the day" at the end of the film...but that is cancelled out  by Pratt being recognized as the Alpha Male by his neato dinosaur squad.

The end of the film has some more nice moments, especially for romantics....and another little echo to the original movie. I did enjoy how Howard's character wears white all of the time - connecting herself to the former park owner. There are lots of little touches like that throughout the movie, and if you look close you'll catch them. They're like Easter Eggs of sorts, and I had fun finding them.

During the movie the people behind us kept reacting to things characters did or said, "That's totally me! I'd do that" or "I can see you doing that, absolutely you." Oh yeah? Because I pretty much can predict everything I'd do when seeing dinosaurs....run and scream, and I bet that's what they'd do too.

I loved the humor, and it is set up for a sequel.....but I hope they don't make it. It stands alone as a strong movie, just one that tries to break out of several societal roles but doesn't quite get there.

Anyway....Those are my thoughts. :)


Comments