Can you Spare a Square?

I loved Seinfeld: the show about nothing. It always made my day. The random episodes always seemed to echo what so many people were experiencing in their real lives.

Most especially the Elaine bathroom episode with the toilet paper hoarder. One of my favorite things to yell, when I find myself stranded at home in the bathroom without TP is, "Can you spare a square?" It's a desperate call for help that gets results.

I was reminded of this moment today while in Des Moines with Violet, at the Hyvee near Valley West Mall.

Whenever we go anywhere, Violet immediately has to go to the bathroom. She reminds me of my little sister Katey who did much the same thing when she was that age. Going to the store? Great, let's stop at a bathroom on the way. Quick trip to the dentist? Better catch a gas station bathroom before we get there, just to see what's up.

So, when we left her dentist appointment this afternoon I was not surprised when she said, "I need to go to the bathroom." Of course. Of course she did.

The nearest "nice" looking place was the Hyvee, and I had to get a few groceries anyway so we ran in. Into the bathroom we went.

It's not a secret that I've had 4 kids. I'm pretty loud about it. SO, it should also not be a secret that I never miss the opportunity to hit the bathroom and figured, "Welp, we're here so...."

Violet dashed into the stall and I was more careful about stall dashing. You just never know what you're doing to encounter sometimes. Before I could even get ready to assume the position, Violet yells "DONE!" and is washing her hands, and out the door. Ugh! Violet!

I yelled, "Hey! Wait!" but it was too late....she was out the door and hurdling herself into the race car shopping cart she made me select.

I'm near panicking, thinking that someone is going to steal her, so I'm trying to rush, and look up... NO TOILET PAPER.

Well, shit...indeed!

"Hey! Vi! Hey! Can you spare a square?" I yelled at the top of my lungs. No answer.

"Hey! Violet! Get back in here!!" No answer.

I'm just about to get up and crab walk over to the other stall when I hear the door open.

"Oh, Thank God" I said, "Ok. I need you to get me some toilet paper. And I am SO mad at you right now. Can you spare a square!!!!????"

And I hear this, "I can't. There are no squares to be spared." Only it wasn't Violet, it was another lady.

Boy, was I sheepish, but  also impressed that she knew about Seinfeld.

She saved the day and helped me out, right as Vi comes in and says, "MOM! COME ON! LET'S GO!"

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

"Is that your daughter? Boy, she's cute" says the nice lady.

Yeah. Cute.   ......






Comments