James Henry

I find it hard to believe that my James Henry is going to be 8 on Thursday. He's starting to look more like a grown up boy (and more like my little sister Lydia...which sounds weird when combined). He still has his famous big smile, big ears, and scrawny frame - yet I notice subtle changes.

The shape of his face seems different, as if maybe it's becoming more hardened? He has a chest hair, an actual chest hair (which makes Wyatt SO MAD), and he likes to walk around and show everyone. I'm tempted to pull it.... His hair is still dark brown and he's my only child to not inherit the Franklin freckles.

He is no longer obsessed with tractors, although once in awhile he will get some out and play with them..and it makes me smile, harkens memories of his sweet pre-k years. Mostly he's enamored with Lego's and video games, and likes to build Lego Zombie Apocalypse scenes (which are always full of comedy).

James loves to dance. Rhythm is not in his DNA, but he loves to bust an awkward move anyway. It doesn't matter where we are, if  a good tune comes on he will walk up to me and say, "May I have this dance" all smooth. And we cut the most awkward rug you've ever seen, all pointy elbows and sharp knees jiving away.

He's taking a huge amount of allergy meds now, and is finally over the sinus headaches and migraines that he has suffered with for many years. So, that's a joy...because watching him suffer with those was so sad.

James is very compassionate and is usually well liked by everyone. I have to admit that I'm always so afraid that people will tease him. He still can't say his "r"s, and I think he will never do so. It seems as if he says them worse now than last year. He gets very frustrated when we try to help him, but will keep trying.

James Henry as a TEMPER and likes to instigate fights. We call him Weanie Fit, because he throws tantrums in 0-60. It's almost impressive the time it takes him to be happy and then suddenly fly into a blind rage.  That scares me, actually. He seems to have inherited the Franklin and Maxwell temper, which is truly something not to be scoffed at.

Perhaps the quality that makes me the most proud of my James is that he is strong. Not physically so, nope...that kid is a twig waiting to be snapped. He's emotionally strong. He has been through an awful lot in his little life - he's a survivor.

I was very excited when he won class President this past year. After we heard about James's meningitis, we were told that he would have many future struggles. That set forth all kinds of scenarios in this imaginative brain of mine. yes, he did lose a good amount of hearing. Yes, this caused him speech delays. Yes, he still can't say his R's, and yes he has nerve damage in his eyes.

However, he doesn't let those things get in his way. He's regained a lot of his hearing, overcome many of his speech issues, and his eyes appear to be healing themselves. Sometimes I think he's miraculous.

I don't know if I will ever be able to keep up with feeding him. Despite the fact that he weighs a whopping 57 pounds wet (he's as tall as he is thin!) he eats all of the time. His metabolism must burn at volcanic temps. If I'm ever cold I holler at him to snuggle with me, and I then find myself wishing he'd not snuggle quite so close.

Before I found out I was pregnant with James, I had something strange happen to me. I was waking up from a dream, and something whispered in my ear. Whatever this something was said, "You're going to have another baby. And he will be great."

It was a strange moment. It gave me the chills.

Then after I gave birth to James, literally seconds after, I heard that voice in my ear again. This time it said, "Enjoy him now, you won't have him for long."

That was terrifying. Especially when he had a seizure and had to have a spinal tap. I have held those strange words in my mind, replaying them over and over for 8 years now. Sometimes I feel that they were prophetic, other times I think I'm crazy, and then I just simply wonder if the words weren't the universe reminding me that all life is fleeting and that all life has the potential for greatness.

This year on James Henry's birthday we are having pizza and some kind of cake (he has still not decided what kind).  We won't have any family here, but will invite a couple local friends. He will be excited all day long and then it will be over.

He will be 8.
One step farther away from that smiling toddler and one step towards the great man he will be.

Comments